12 August, 2007

Thursday, June 14, 2007 - So raise to me the parting glass...

The Parting Glass

"Of all the money e'er I had,
I spent it in good company.And all the harm I've ever done,
Alas! it was to none but me.
And all I've done for want of witT
o mem'ry now I can't recall
So fill to me the parting glass
Good night and joy be with you all

Oh, all the comrades e'er I had,
They're sorry for my going away,
And all the sweethearts e'er I had,
They'd wish me one more day to stay,
But since it falls unto my lot,
That I should rise and you should not,
I gently rise and softly call,
That I should go and you should not,
Good night and joy be with you all.

If I had money enough to spend,
And leisure time to sit awhile,
There is a fair maid in this town,
That sorely has my heart beguiled.
Her rosy cheeks and ruby lips,
I own she has my heart in thrall,
Then fill to me the parting glass,
Good night and joy be with you all."

had deleted my MySpace account, thinking I didn't need it. After all, MySpace is all about hooking up, right? I certainly didn't need that. I am happy and content, if a little straining at the leash the odd day out of every month. I'd been thinking, though, more and more about blogging; airing my thoughts and feelings to anyone or no one on the web. As I lost track of friends and family because of my deleting my account, I started to think I should reopen the account.

Today is that day.

One of those people was my cousin, Paul. Ironically, we live not more than 30 minutes from each other, but that odd mentality that defines people who live inside the perimeter (ITP) and outside the perimeter (OTP), crazy, Atlanta traffic, and general day-to-day living conspired to making face-to-face visits a challenge. Intended get togethers on weekends would get deferred for this reason or that. You know how it is, right?

I received a phone call this afternoon. Paul died today. He was 45.

On my original account here on MySpace, I had written an "about Paul," because he had asked on his account for someone else to do it. I don't remember what I wrote then, which is unfortunate, for he loved it. I'll do my best to say it again. Paul was an interesting and caring man. He was a biochemistry professor. How fascinating is that? He had unusual tastes and was very eclectic. Paul was Irish in that sit at the pub, drinking whiskey, and once drunk being maudlin about the 'Old Country' and the music of it. We spent many a night drinking Jameson and singing songs. He did imbibe too much. In fact, I believe that is what contributed to his death. But, as the song goes, I believe he lived his life his way. He was my cousin and my friend. I will miss him.

I love you, Paul. God Bless.

Mood: Sad :(
Currently listening : Solsbury Hill By Peter Gabriel Release date: 27 April, 1999

No comments: