12 August, 2007

Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - Four Winds

Current mood: dorky
Category: Music

This one's from the gut because in all fairness, I have heard only a few songs from Bright Eyes. Over the course of hearing those songs, I have either loved or hated the music. One song I'd enjoy, the next I'd find the vocals whiny and the lyrics inane. To my knowledge, no one really knew who Bright Eyes was - the band was an underground sort of thing. Then, not too long ago I was surprised to see Bright Eyes headlining with the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra (if I had any money, I'd go).

Now, Bright Eyes are on my cabletv onDemand channel with the video for the new release Four Winds. The first song I heard was Lover I Don't Have to Love. It's a slutty little song about getting f'd up and hooking up. Having been there, done that, I liked the song. As a matter of fact, when my iPOD was working that song was on my "sex songs" playlist (admit it, you've all got one).

Anyway, Music Press once dubbed Conor Oberst, the main man behind Bright Eyes as "Rock's Boy Genius." I wonder if he's gotten tired of that dumb epithet. I say that because although there is certainly creative genius there, the most recent offering isn't anything I have not heard before. Four Winds reminds me a little of Mike Scott's work with the Waterboys. There's also a touch of Lloyd Cole and a little bit a roots Americana. Bright Eyes' music also reminds me a little of Drew de Man and No River City (don't know them? you should!!) Hey, don't get me wrong! Before you start spamming my blog, I am heartily endorsing the talent Conor possesses. I'm a closet Conor groupie. If I didn't think I had to share him with his boyfriend, girlfriend, drugs, booze, or whatever his vices are I'd beg to have his love child. Hell, I haven't quite let go of the idea just yet (I wonder if Conor likes BBW's... err, nevermind. Back to the original purpose of this blog).

The uber-acclaim garnered is probably more because the stylings are breath of fresh air or because "oh, isn't it amazing how a kid can do that?" as if he were some kind of monkey performing tricks; not because the guy actually deserves the applause for the effort he put forth to make music. We have a clear view of his progression from fledgling to flying to Capistrano.

Overall, job well done; the love-hate meter is firmly on love.

Currently listening : Four Winds By Bright Eyes Release date: 06 March, 2007

No comments: