12 August, 2007

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - Emo-riffic

Current mood: complacent


Was it Marie or Donnie who sang, "I'm a little bit emo, you're a little bit rock n' roll grunge?"

No, no, I know that isn't how the song goes! I keep hearing about this EMO scene. You see, I spent most of the 90's in a Jameson bottle and playing music in a Waterboys-esque acoustic-irish band in Atlanta. Hey, don't knock it. We actually managed to win a Best of Atlanta local band award.

Anyway, Emo...first, I thought it was a cult of followers for comic Emo Phillips. I was then informed by another friend of what emo consisted.. My response was to ask for clarification.

Me: "So essentially Goth hooked up with Grunge and Emo is their love child?"

Friend: "Hey, don't pick on the grunge guys now!"

As an olive branch I will note to the EmoKids:It's been done before. So don't feel bad, you aren't alone. At least a whole generations before you felt displaced, a need to write poetry, and be fascinated with fishnet, excessive eyeliner, hair in the face, cross-gender exploration, pretentiousness, and bisexuality. Since I spent many an hour in highschool writing feverishly in my little notebook, had dyed black hair a la Robert Smith, a leather jacket with additional painted embellishments, and wore combat boots, I feel a certain kinship to this new generation. I also find the recent slew of artists being cast in the emo and/or alternative music bins as ones to which I enjoy listening. Of course, that may just be because they remind me of music put out when I was in highschool.

Random thought: All hail the giant chin!


Currently listening : Stranger Than Fiction By Various Artists Release date: 07 November, 2006

No comments: